Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Do Right #17: Be Neighborly

I have lived in many places and in some homes, I have known many of my neighbors and in others, I have known none. I notice during bad weather oftentimes this is when neighbors really become "neighborly". During the recent snowstorm, I noticed people out talking to each other more than usual. Helping each other shovel, push cars, discussing the iciness of driveways and the drive time on the roads. I was out shoveling my own driveway, when a neighbor I don't know well marched over and helped me clean off my snow covered car. I was so grateful and touched by him reaching out without saying a word.

I also remember living in another neighborhood, where our block was without electricity for days on end while our neighbors across the streets on all sides never lost electricity. We never heard from a single person. It was an incredibly cold winter and I would have paid anything for a place to warm up, a warm meal or a place to dry my hair. I vowed to never let something like that happen to one my neighbors.

So why do we wait for snowstorms, power outages, missing pets or tragedies to happen before we reach out to our neighbors? Wouldn't it be great to have a neighborhood, where everyone kept an eye out for each other and helped each other whenever possible? Maybe today is the day to introduce yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment